Legislative District 1 - Senator
Residence: Bonner County
Years of residence in Bonner County and Idaho: 10 years (Bonner), 2 years (Boise)
Marital status/family: Married
Contact information: [email protected]
- Bachelor's degree in Economics from the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Graduate studies at Boise State University and University of New Mexico
Recent or pertinent employment history:
- Currently contributing editor for Avionics Magazine
- Formerly a reporter/editor for the Idaho Statesman (Boise), United Press International (Denver), the Albuquerque Journal, and City News Bureau of Chicago
- Managing Editor, Aviation Daily, Washington, D.C.
- Owned and operated my own magazine, the Idaho Outdoor Guide magazine, covering outdoor recreational activities throughout Idaho
- Corporate communications/media relations positions with Boeing, United Airlines, Northrop-Grumman, and First Interstate Bank
Public offices held:
- Elected a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 2004
- Bonner County Democratic state committeeman
- Precinct chairperson
Nonprofit groups or service organizations to which candidate belongs:
- Human Rights Task Force
- Rock Creek Alliance
- S.A.F.E. (Safe Air for Everyone)
- Pend Oreille Arts Council
- East Bonner County Friends of the Library
- Friends of Scotchman Peaks Wilderness
- Founder of the Democracy Forum meetings
Relevant professional affiliations:
- Air Force Assoc.
- Friends of the Library
- Pend Oreille Arts Council
- Aviation Writers Assoc.
Why are you running for public office?
I believe Idaho deserves a two-party system allowing discussion of important issues that affect our daily lives. We need open communications between our elected officials and the people who elect them. And I believe we need to take our government out of the hands of big business groups and return it to the hard working middle class people of our district.
If you are elected, how much time will you spend each week in the office?
As much as it takes to do the job as effectively as I can.
Describe the top three to five issues you believe are most important, why you consider them most important, and your position on these issues.
- Property tax relief for Idaho residents who live in their own homes. This can be done effectively without a 20% increase in the sales tax. Renters and homeowners alike should not be penalized with a tax on groceries. In the long term, we need a freeze on assessed valuations at the purchase price plus a one or two percent increase for inflation.
- We need to raise our minimum wage from the current $5.15 per hour. This is necessary to enable young people and other workers to make a livable wage and also keep people from fleeing across state borders for higher wages. It would help raise other wages and put more money back into the economy.
- Affordable health care. We need to help the thousands of residents in our district who do not have health insurance afford medical care. A cooperative effort is needed between businesses, state and local governments, and volunteers to solve this problem.
- Preserving our clean air and water and the priceless outdoor recreational opportunities we have in our area. Idaho public land is not for sale.
- Making sure our schools are adequately funded, that class sizes are reduced, and that we retain qualified teachers.
What differentiates you from other candidates? Why should people vote for you?
As a former Air Force fighter pilot, I will fight to ensure that veterans receive the benefits they deserve. As a former journalist, who covered state legislatures in Idaho and Colorado, I understand how these bodies work, and I will investigate and get to the bottom of issues. With experience in large and small businesses (my own) I can understand their problems as well.