Here's to a half-century of skiing! This year, Schweitzer Mountain Resort celebrates its 50th anniversary with special events planned throughout the 2013-2014 season. The festivities begin with a very special Founders Day, Saturday, Dec. 14. Lift tickets for the day will be priced at $19.63 – the year Schweitzer was founded – plus there will be après-ski party in Taps Lounge (located in the Lakeview Lodge) where a 25-year-old time capsule will be opened. Don’t miss this great event! Get more details about the day's lineup of events, including a shirt show, birthday cake, live music and more at Schweitzer.com. And that's not all ... A fantastic weekend at Schweitzer gets started Friday, Dec. 13, with the annual Schweitzer Community Day. Ski all day for just $10 - and the price of your ticket will benefit Bonner Partners in Care Clinic or Community Cancer Services. Click to buy tickets online at Schweitzer.com. And now, on to the news!
• BGH Auxiliary Holiday Bake Sale – Holiday treats fundraiser at Bonner General, Thursday
• Schweitzer Community Day – Fundraiser for local nonprofits at Schweitzer, Friday
• Museum Holiday Event – Festive daylong fun at Bonner County Museum, Friday
• Contra Dance – Dancing and potluck at Sandpoint Community Hall, Friday
• Holiday Sample Sale – Shop for bargains at Meesh & Mia warehouse, Friday-Saturday
• Beethoven's Mass in C – Classical music performance at St. Joseph's, Friday-Saturday
• Holiday Arts and Crafts Show – Annual event at the Bonner Mall, Friday-Sunday
• Founders Day at Schweitzer – 50th anniversary party on the mountain, Saturday
• 'Twas the Night Before Christmas – Allegro Dance Studio recital at Panida, Saturday
»View a FULL list of entertainment events!
• Avalanche Workshop – Beacon practice at the Sandpoint Forest Service building, Tuesday
• Family History Open House/Workshop – Family History Center (behind LDS), Wednesday
• Chamber Annual Holiday Luncheon – At the Panhandle State Bank, Thursday
» See all civic events this week
Coming up next week: The Nutcracker ballet, Dec. 16; The Jazzy Nutcracker, Dec. 18-19; Danceworks Christmas Show, Dec. 20; Toys for Tots Spaghetti Dinner Benefit at Hoot Owl, Dec. 22; StoryTelling Company Christmas Show at Di Luna's, Dec. 22.
New classifieds: Butcher block-style dining table and four chairs, $125 ... Mountain photographer position open ... Honey-Do-List "do-ers" for hire! SandpointClassifieds.com
• The heavens: The Moon floats above green Uranus Tue and is to the left of Taurus' orange star Aldebaran Fri
• Rising and setting: Sunrise at 7:26 a.m., sets at 3:51 p.m. Daylight lost past 7 days: 10 minutes. Moon rose at 12:19 p.m.
• Air quality report: Good as a weak system moves through; heavy woodstove use in sheltered valley areas can cause air quality to be downgraded during overnight hours
• Weather forecast: Chance of snow Wed-Fri with highs in the low 30s and overnight lows in the teens to mid-20s; chance of rain/snow Sat-Sun as temps rise into the mid-30s
• Schweitzer snow report: 44" on the summit, 21" in the village. 1" new snow past 24 hours. Forecast calls for chance of snow Wed-Sat. See report
Find links to details at Real-Time Outdoors.
For the ongoing collection of life. Use the smart search tools at the Tomlinson Sotheby's International Realty site to browse all area property listings, distinctive homes and premier realty services. Go there now. (advertisement)
What's new and neat online
Hello, No. 3,000! Sandpoint Online's Facebook page just garnered its 3,000th "like" this week. So just for fun we are giving away a $20 certificate for Tango Cafe at noon Thursday; to put your name in the hat to win it, go post a comment»
Pssst ... Santa, look here! Find all your Sandpoint-themed gifts, including books about our area, CDs from local musicians, and maps to great outings, at the updated KeokeeBooks.com»
Here to serve you! Wray Plumbing offers quality commercial and residential plumbing you can count on. Check out the local company's new website for more information at WrayPlumbingInc.com.
The Week's Top News, Dec. 4-10:
• Knapp watched crash scene from afar
Sandpoint woman accused of leaving accident
• Qualls explores new art center
Aims to look into funding options
• Connectivity focus of 'Explore Sandpoint'
City devises network for bike route system
• Ahrens announces run for Senate
Will face Keough in May primary
• Trial date set for city's suit
Highway district revenue in dispute
• Video visitation debuts at the jail
• Aitken appointed to city council
Cutting down on costs and paperwork
Mayor's pick unanimously approved
Get stories from the Bonner County Daily Bee, River Journal, Spokesman Review and others at SandpointNews.com»