Blue ribbon fun! As summer draws to a close, it's time enjoy our community's rural roots during the annual Bonner County Fair, Tuesday, Aug. 19 through Saturday, Aug. 23 at the Bonner County Fairgrounds. This old-fashioned country event includes livestock viewings, exhibitions, fair food, crazy contests, live music and more! The fair is open daily, and a Demolition Derby on Saturday rounds out the fun. Visit BonnerCountyFair.com, for calendar details and more information. And enjoy a social event for kids and parents when the Eureka Center Annex, 513 Oak St. (the Granary), hosts the first ever Trout and About Festival at 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24. Families can listen to great music, learn fun facts about trout, dance it up, and have a great time! Featuring special musical guests The Whizpops, who will be debuting a song written just for the event! Food and beverages available for purchase from Jupiter Jane Café and Eichardt's Pub. $3 general admission; no cost for children. Presented by the Sandpoint Chapter of Trout Unlimited, Avista, Idaho Fish and Game, and the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. And now, on to the news!
• Bonner County Fair – Old-fashioned country event at the fairgrounds, Tuesday-Saturday
• Five Minutes of Fame – Open mic event for poetry, music at Cafe Bodega, Wednesday
• LPOW Tap Party – MickDuff's Beer Hall hosts celebration of LPOW's own beer, Thursday
• Chef – Jon Favreau comedy screens at the Panida Theater, Thursday-Saturday
• Artists' Studio Tour – 11th annual self-guided driving tour of studios, Friday-Sunday
• Wylie and Wild West Show – Wilderness Act anniversary celebration in Libby, Mont., Saturday
• Trout and About Festival – Family fun and activities at the Eureka Center Annex, Sunday
View ALL entertainment events»
• Journey to Asia Presentation: Vietnam – Tina Friedman photo event at library, Saturday
• Spring Into Action Mini Health Fair – Public screenings at Life Care Center, Tuesday
See ALL civic events this week»
Coming up: tinyExpanse North Idaho Art Exhibit, Aug. 29; Art in the Wild, Aug. 29-30; Coaster Classic Car Show, Aug. 30-31; Schweitzer Fall Fest, Aug. 30-Sept. 1.
New in the classifieds: Vita Mix with extras, $175 ... Opening for Senior Center director ... Storage auction. SandpointClassifieds.com
• The heavens: New Moon Mon; Mars, in Libra, passes dramatically below Saturn at nightfall beginning Fri in the southwestern sky
• Rising and setting: Sunrise at 5:45 a.m., sets at 7:52 p.m. Daylight lost past 7 days: 22 minutes. Moon sets at 4:01 p.m.
• Air Quality Report: Good through Wed as a low pressure system will move through the area bringing gusty winds and the possibility of showers
• Lake Pend Oreille: Lake level 2,062.34 feet, up 0.1 feet past 7 days
• Streamflows: Priest River 648 cfs, up 90 cfs past 7 days; Moyie River 104 cfs, up 2 cfs
• Wildfires: 17 active wildfires burning in Idaho; two in the Panhandle National Forest. 29 large uncontained fires in the country, all in the West
• Weather forecast: Chance of thunderstorms and showers Wed-Sat with highs in the 70s, lows in 40s
Find links to details at Real-Time Outdoors.
New and neat online
Watch out for ducks! He's otherwise known as Jerry Luther, aka Hooeyman, aka Dancing Duck Man and a fixture at community events for, oh, the past 30 years or so. He was at it again during the Festival; see this fun 2-minute clip from SandpointFilmmakers.net»
Hear it on the news. The 88.5 KRFY Morning Show every Tuesday and Thursday at 8 a.m. has been a hive of info and interviews; this morning Mayor Carrie Logan and Public Works Director Kody Van Dyk told of the coming huge change in downtown street design. If you missed the show, hear the podcast»
Downtown Yoga's new locale. Yep, it's still downtown -- check out the beautiful space for Downtown Yoga, situated next to a juice bar, plus view an updated schedule and more at DowntownYoga.us.
The Week's Top News, Aug. 13-19:
• LPOW celebrates denial of permit
Key setback for coal export terminal
• Idaho, where $100 is worth $106.84
Foundation ranks 'real value' in states
• Owl kills canary in CdA apartment
Swoops in through window, opens cage
• Protest meets mega shipment
Small crowd gathers at Byway
• Sagle man killed in Long Bridge crash
• Sandpoint Depot renovation begins
Highway was blocked for five hours
Asbestos, lead paint removal first step
Get stories from the Bonner County Daily Bee, River Journal, Spokesman Review and others at SandpointNews.com»