Garden of Artistry. Ponderay Garden Center, on Highway 95 North in Ponderay, hosts the Garden of Artistry and Reception this Friday through Sunday, July 25-27 held at an old homestead converted into a garden center. An annual invitational fine art show featuring national and internationally recognized artists, it kicks off with an Opening Reception Friday hosted by the Northwest Film Institute: featuring live music, hors d'oeuvres and a glass of wine or beer for $20. A raffle includes a signed book and CD from Viggo Mortensen, a signed print from Scott Kirby and more. Purchase in advance at PGC or via Barb Fears at 208-597-5824. Art is for sale all weekend; hours are 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Next up, James McMurtry performs in concert at the Panida Theater, Saturday, July 26. McMurtry received a Grammy nomination in 1996 for his video of "Where'd You Hide the Body," and his 1997 album "It Had to Happen" won the American Indie Award for Best Americana Album. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.; concert starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $19 in advance at Eichardt's, Eve's Leaves, 4000 Holes in Spokane, The Long Ear in Coeur d'Alene; $22 at the door. And now, on to the news!
• Josh Harty Concert – Unique blend of American music at Di Luna's Cafe, Friday
• James McMurtry Concert – Panida Theater presents American Indie performer, Friday
• Syvia – Play about a man, his wife and his new dog in Little Theater, Friday-Saturday
• Northwest YogaFest – Eureka Institute hosts annual festival, Friday-Sunday
• Garden of Artistry – Ponderay Garden Center invitational fine art show, Friday-Sunday
• Crazy Days – Downtown merchants offer big deals in annual sidewalk sale, Saturday
• Dance Party at City Beach – Sandpoint Chapter of USA Dance event, Saturday
View ALL entertainment events»
• Ask the Waterkeeper – Monthly Q & A about the Lake Pend Oreille watershed, Friday
• Workshop, Reading, Signing – Lost Horse Press and the Sandpoint Library event, Saturday
See ALL civic events this week»
Coming up: Long Bridge Swim, Aug. 2; Schweitzer Huckleberry Festival, Aug. 3.
New in the classifieds: 1999 Town and Country, $1,800 ... ATI West sales team job fair, July 24 ... 2001 Subaru Outback, $4,500. SandpointClassifieds.com
News from the nest. One of the three osprey chicks at the Memorial Field nest succumbed to a possible fungal infection July 15, while the other two seem to be thriving. Tune in and see notes from observers, including biologist Janie Fink.
• The heavens: New Moon Sat; Fading Venus to the left of the Moon low in eastern twilight, and Jupiter finally vanishes into solar glare as it crosses into Cancer and passes the Sun in a conjunction, both Thu
• Rising and setting: Sunrise at 5:08 a.m., sets at 8:35 p.m. Daylight lost past 7 days: 14 minutes. Moon sets at 5:14 p.m.
• Air Quality Report: Currently good as strong system moves into the area. Smoke from fires can move into the area and degrade air quality rapidly.
• Lake Pend Oreille: Lake level 2,062.18 feet, down 1.32 feet past 7 days
• Streamflows: Priest River 855 cfs, down 46 cfs past 7 days; Moyie River 291 cfs, down 128 cfs
• Wildfires: 10 active wildfires burning in Idaho; none in the Panhandle National Forest. 26 large uncontained fires in the country, all in the West
• Weather forecast: Chance of rain through Thu with heavy rain predicted Wed; sunny Fri-Sun with highs in the 70s to 80s
Find links to details at Real-Time Outdoors.
Find restaurants and taverns. The Sandpoint Restaurants & Nightclubs Directory has every dining and drinking establishment in town, plus powerful search features for type of cuisine, price, location and more. Go there now. (advertisement)
New and neat online
Northwest KickFest. Sandpoint's Black Bear Martials Arts Center puts on its fourth annual summer training camp Aug. 15-17 and applications are being accepted now. See more and sign up at BlackBearTangSooDo.com»
Do you Facebook? Posts on the Sandpoint Online FB page have been getting whopping engagement. Recently gone viral: Photographers capture fiery sunsets; Shook Twins tell American Idol to take a hike. Keep your finger on the pulse of this place, too, at Facebook.com/SandpointOnline»
Photo ops galore. Sandpoint's a scenic place, even when the skies become smoky; in fact, sometimes the smoke enhances the view. See some examples and vote for your favorites on Sandpoint in Pictures»
The Week's Top News, July 16-22:
• Council approves Sandpoint BID
OKs budget, operating under chamber
• Man rescues intoxicated swimmer
Spotted him face down in Sand Creek
• Woman shot by police 'erratic'
Two of three officers discharged guns
• Air quality alert issued for smoke
Four major fires burning in Washington
• Council OKs downtown street changes
• Officers' names released in shooting
Will make 5th two-way street to Pine
Three were involved in deadly incident
• Avista reaches deal on Idaho rates
Base rate unchanged through 2015
Get stories from the Bonner County Daily Bee, River Journal, Spokesman Review and others at SandpointNews.com»