Get lost ... all weekend long! Locals and visitors alike step back in time to the days of hot rods and poodle skirts during the Lost in the ’50s celebration, happening Thursday, May 16 through Sunday, May 19 at venues throughout town. Events include a Vintage Car Parade and Street Dance, shows featuring ’50s-era music and more at the Panida and the Bonner County Fairgrounds, a car show that fills nearly every street in downtown Sandpoint, plus a fun run and car rally. It’s a lot of nostalgic fun packed into one fabulous weekend. Read what people are saying about the upcoming excitement on the Lost in the '50s Facebook page. Plus, for more information on all of the events, visit the Sandpoint Online Events Calendar. More resources include a Lost in the '50s press release, and Sandpoint.org/lostin50s. 208-265-LOST. And now, on to the news!
• Bike to School/Work Day – Bike Week event includes stops around town, Wednesday
• Peace Officers' Memorial – Tribute held at Bonner County Sheriff's Office, Wednesday
• Ride of Silence – Slow-paced bicycle ride from Sandpoint City Beach, Wednesday
• Lost in the '50s – Parade, dances, shows and fun throughout Sandpoint, Thursday-Sunday
• Rock 'n' Roll Heaven – Impersonators from the '50s at the Panida Theater, Thursday
• Vintage Car Parade and Street Dance – Downtown Sandpoint, Friday
• Friday Night Dance – Lovin' Spoonful at Bonner County Fairgrounds, Friday
• Car Show – Browse collection of classic cars in downtown Sandpoint, Saturday
• Saturday Market and Chalk Arts Festival – Granary Arts District, Saturday
• Dance at the Warehouse – With rock musician Scott Pemberton, Saturday
• Saturday Night Dance – With Sonny Turner at the Bonner County Fairgrounds, Saturday
• Aspirin Rally Run – 5K fun run and car rally from Second Avenue Pizza, Sunday
» See all entertainment events this week
• Managing Your Online Reputation – Chamber workshop at Holiday Inn, Wednesday
• Spring Birding Outing – With LPOW and Ducks Unlimited biologist, Sunday
» See all civic events this week
Coming up: Red Gold documentary at Little Panida, May 22; JJ Grey and Mofro at the Panida, May 24; Summer Sounds kickoff, May 25.
New classifieds: Counter top dishwasher, $200 ... '99 Nissan Pathfinder, $2,950 obo ... Housekeeper and shopper position needed in August ... SandpointClassifieds.com
• The heavens: First quarter Moon Fri; Jupiter is now getting low in the evening twilight
• Rising and setting: Sunrise at 5:07 a.m., sets at 8:18 p.m. Daylight gained past 7 days: 20 minutes. Moon rose at 8:52 a.m.
• Air quality report: Good through Wed as average spring temperatures are accompanied by light winds
• Lake Pend Oreille: Lake level 2,057.7 feet, up 1.35 feet past 7 days
• Streamflows: Priest River 6,370 cfs, up 2,740 cfs past 7 days; Moyie River 5,990 cfs, up 3,770 cfs
• Weather forecast: Chance of showers Wed-Sat; highs in the mid-60s and overnight lows in the 40s
Find links to details at Real-Time Outdoors.
Get inspired ... and get gardening! Browse through all the latest plants and flowers at Ponderay Garden Center, located on Highway 95 north of Walmart. PonderayGarden.com. (advertisement)
What's new and neat online
Future of Sandpoint's past. The renovation of the Belwood301 Building is scheduled to be completed this summer. Discover more about this Sandpoint landmark at the new website Belwood301.com.
Coming to a store near you! The can movement is alive and well at Laughing Dog Brewing, where it was just announced that the India Pale Ale and the Two-One Niner will be available this summer in cans. Check out their Facebook page for all the details.
What're you doing June 1st? Hopefully, joining in the first-ever Bay Trail Fun Run! The scenery is gorgeous, and proceeds benefit the acquisition of the Pend d'Oreille Bay Trail land. Info at POBTrail.org.
The Week's Top News, May 8-14:
• Lottery fever sweeps the region
Powerball, Mega jackpots surge
• Sandpoint's Lowrey guns for title
Named 'Extreme Huntress' semifinalist
• Prison ordered for 48-year-old man
Washington's Buchite abused teen girl
• Randy Fritz photo gains notoriety
In National Weather Center Biennale
• Trial reset in fatal crash case
Sandpoint woman's trial set for July
• Tax dodger faces federal prison
Fitzpatrick failed to file returns
• Expect delays, closures on Highway 95
Ponderay work to be done this fall
• Sagle man sentenced to time served
Johnson beat and threatened man
Get stories from the Bonner County Daily Bee, River Journal, Spokesman Review and others at SandpointNews.com».