Four-legged fun! Enjoy a non-competitive 5k run/walk in the park with the entire family - including the dog! - during the Dover Bay 5k-9, sponsored by EzyDog. Happening in scenic Dover on Saturday, Sept. 27, the event raises much-needed funds to help the Panhandle Animal Shelter's mission to diminish the number of lost, abandoned, neglected and abused dogs and cats through adoption, litter prevention and identification of missing pets. After the race, enjoy a kids' activity booth, chili cook-off and beer garden! Race-day registration is available at 7 a.m.; 5k runners start at 9 a.m., and walkers follow at 9:15 a.m. Also, Priest River hosts Idaho's only rowing competition with the Head of the Pend Oreille Regatta Saturday, Sept. 27. Don't miss watching this fourth annual event at 10 a.m. in Bonner Park West. Teams from universities and clubs around the western states and provinces will be competing in this unique event. And on to the news!
• Painting Party – Indulging Artists' sip and paint party in Cedar Street Bridge, Wednesday
• Yappy Hour – Eichardt's hosts social event for dogs and their owners, Thursday
• Poetry Open Mic – Poets, listeners welcome at Monarch Mountain Coffee, Thursday
• Land Ho! – Comedy about a duo's trip to Iceland screens at Panida, Thursday-Saturday
• Dover Bay 5k-9 Run/Walk – Dogs welcome to join in on event at Dover Bay, Saturday
• Head of the Pend Oreille Regatta – Idaho's only competitive rowing event, Saturday
• 100,000 Poets for Change – Poetry, open mic at Evans Brothers Coffee, Saturday
• Palettes Uncorked – Sip wine and paint at Di Luna's with Randy Wilhelm, Saturday
• Ballroom Dancing – Learn four dances at Sandpoint Community Hall, Saturday
• Five Year Anniversary Bash – Evans Brothers Coffee hosts party, Saturday
View ALL entertainment events»
• Shade Gardens Workshop – In the Ponderay Events Center, Wednesday
• DayBreak Center Open House – Wine, hors d'oeuvres, raffles and live music, Thursday
• READY! for Kindergarten Workshop – Early childhood literacy event, Saturday
• KNPS Presentation – Introduction to Aquatic Plants is topic at Community Hall, Saturday
See ALL civic events this week»
Coming up: U-Pick Pumpkin Patch at Hickey Farms, opens Oct. 3; Hope Oktoberfest at the MCC, Oct. 4; Sandpoint Style, Oct. 4.
New in the classifieds: GPS system for car, $40 ... Cedar chandelier, $75 ... Maintenance helper wanted. SandpointClassifieds.com
• The heavens: New Moon Wed will be directly between the Earth and the Sun. This is the best time of the month to observe faint objects such as galaxies and star clusters because there is no moonlight to interfere
• Rising and setting: Sunrise at 6:34 a.m., sets at 6:41 p.m. Daylight lost past 7 days: 25 minutes. Moon sets at 6:21 p.m.
• Air Quality Report: Good through Tue in most areas. Large wildfires burning in Oregon could potentially add to smoke buildup in our region again but is not expected to be significant. Smaller local fires recently reported could also contribute to localized smoke buildup
• Lake Pend Oreille: Lake level 2,061.12 feet, down 0.94 feet past 7 days
• Wildfires: 18 active wildfires burning in Idaho; one in the Panhandle National Forest
• Weather forecast: Chance of rain Wed-Sun with highs in the upper 60s and lower 70s; overnight lows are now in the mid-40s
Find links to details at Real-Time Outdoors.
New and neat online
Get kids on the slopes. NIMSEF aims to provide local children with the opportunity to learn how to ski or snowboard at Schweitzer. The group is now taking applications for the upcoming season: NIMSEF.com.
World flavors, hometown appeal. Spuds Waterfront Grill prides itself on a menu that includes only the freshest seasonal ingredients. View their redesigned site for daily specials and more: SpudsOnline.com.
So, how'd you do? Results are in for the Scenic Half marathon, 10k and 5k held in Sandpoint last weekend: View at ScenicHalf.com. Congrats to all the participants who came out to enjoy such a pretty day!
The Week's Top News, Sept. 17-23:
• Firefighters tackle Wylie Peak blaze
Lightning sparked 25-acre fire
• Homeowner's exemption to rise
Maximum will increase to $89,580
• Hiker rescued on Chimney Rock
Midstokke battered from head to toe
• Woman accused of chewing seat
Spence charged with felony
• Gas 'n' Go faces federal lawsuit
• BNSF: Second train bridge is 'critical'
Mechanic filed OSHA complaint
Project is in conceptual design phase
• Details emerge in election case
Dutson-Sater faces felony charges
Get stories from the Bonner County Daily Bee, River Journal, Spokesman Review and others at SandpointNews.com»