The SPOT (Selkirk-Pend Oreille Transit) bus is our free local bus, with stops in Sandpoint, Dover, Ponderay, Kootenai and a Schweitzer connection. It's a great way to get around our town. Get route map and schedule: SPOTBus.org. 208-597-7606
SMS Community Shuttle connects Sandpoint to the Spokane International Airport with stops in Priest River and Newport. The shuttle makes two runs daily to the airport, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, with stops in each city on the route. In Sandpoint, catch the shuttle at the Bonner County Public Works building, corner of Division and Ontario. One-way fares are only $1.50 from Sandpoint to Priest River, $0.50 from Priest River to Newport, $3 from Newport to Spokane, and $5 for Sandpoint to or from Spokane airport. For current schedule and to reserve a seat, call 877-264-RIDE, or 509-534-7171.
Northwestern Trailways provides bus service to/from Moscow, Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint. As of November 2013, the bus leaves Sandpoint's Dairy Depot, 1105 Highway 2, at 9:15 a.m., arriving at Coeur d'Alene at 10:15 a.m. and Moscow at 12:15 p.m. Schedule is subject to change; to confirm, call 1-800-366-6975. Buy tickets at the Dairy Depot or online (beware of dated information) at NorthwesternTrailways.com.
Spokane International Airport
Located 80 miles from Sandpoint in Spokane, Wash., this major airport provides access to flights on several airlines:
Need to get to/from the airport? Check the Community Shuttle Service, above, or car rental services, below.
Air Idaho Charters
Charter air service provides direct flights from Sandpoint to your destination, or from your location to Sandpoint. Air Idaho's Beechcraft Baron 58P aircraft can fly above the weather at speeds in excess of 270 mph, comfortably seating up to 5 passengers. Information at AirIdahoCharters.com, or call 208-304-0883.
Located two miles from downtown, the Sandpoint Airport provides a 5,500-foot paved runway rated up to 40,000 pounds gross weight single-wheel load. Amenities and services include pilots lounge, courtesy cars, fuel, flight school and tiedowns. Click for FAA information and navigational details at AirNav.com. Call 208-263-3074 for automated weather information; visit SandpointAirport.com, call Sandpoint Aviation at 208-263-9102 for information on airport operations, or fax 208-263-9144.
Empire Builder route arrives and departs daily at Sandpoints historic railroad depot on Railroad Avenue, just off of Bridge Street. The westbound train departs at 11:49 p.m., and the eastbound train departs at 1:40 a.m. For more information, call Amtrak toll-free at 1-800-872-7245, or check Amtraks website
Rental Car Services
Available through several area businesses, some of which have affiliations with national agencies.
- SilverWing Hertz: 208-263-9102, located at the Sandpoint Airport a mile north of downtown Sandpoint at 1100 Airport Way, off North Boyer Avenue. Rent cars for local use (primarily for aviators).
- Taylor & Sons Chevrolet: 866-613-9199 or 208-263-2138, located on Highway 95 in Ponderay. Rent cars for local use (no one-way travel services provided).
- Thrifty Car Rental: 800-367-2277 or 208-255-7909, located in the lobby of Andersons Autobody on Highway 200 two miles east of Sandpoint.
- Rental car agencies at Spokane International Airport: Alamo, 800-462-5266; Avis, 800-331-1212; Budget, 800-527-0700; Dollar 800-800-4000; Enterprise, 800-325-8007; Hertz, 800-654-3131; National, 800-227-7368; Thrifty, 800-367-2277
- Bonner Taxi Inc. offers taxi services daily from 7 a.m. to 3 a.m.; pickup during other hours is by appointment only. Rate is $3.50 start, $2.50/mile. Credit cards, PayPal accepted. 208-263-7626
- Sandpoint Cab Co.: 208-610-6212
- WhiteTail Transportation Services: Service-oriented company caters to people in need of reliable transportation, including shuttles to and from the Spokane Airport. Reservations required by calling 208-448-0848.