The SPOT (Selkirk-Pend Oreille Transit) bus is our free local bus, with stops in Sandpoint, Dover, Ponderay, Kootenai and a Schweitzer connection. It's a great way to get around our town. Get route map and schedule: SPOTBus.org. 208-263-3774
SMS Community Shuttle connects Newport, Wash., about 29 miles west of Sandpoint, to the Spokane International Airport. The shuttle makes two runs daily to the airport, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Catch the shuttle at the Newport Safeway on U.S. Highway 2, at 702 Fifth Ave., at 8:15 a.m. and 4:15 p.m., arriving at the airport at 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. respectively. One-way fares are $3 from Newport to Spokane Airport. For current schedule and to reserve a seat, call 877-264-RIDE, or 509-534-7171.
Spokane International Airport
Located 80 miles from Sandpoint in Spokane, Wash., this major airport provides access to flights on several airlines:
Need to get to/from the airport? Check the Community Shuttle Service, above, or car rental services, below.
Located two miles from downtown, the Sandpoint Airport provides a 5,500-foot paved runway rated up to 40,000 pounds gross weight single-wheel load. Amenities and services include pilots lounge, courtesy cars, fuel, flight school and tiedowns. Click for FAA information and navigational details at AirNav.com. Call 208-263-3074 for automated weather information; visit SandpointAirport.com, call Sandpoint Aviation at 208-263-9102 for information on airport operations, or fax 208-263-9144.
Empire Builder route arrives and departs daily at Sandpoints historic railroad depot on Railroad Avenue, just off of Bridge Street. The westbound train departs at 11:49 p.m., and the eastbound train departs at 1:40 a.m. For more information, call Amtrak toll-free at 1-800-872-7245, or check Amtraks website
Rental Car Services
Available through several area businesses, some of which have affiliations with national agencies.
- SilverWing Hertz: 208-263-9102, located at the Sandpoint Airport a mile north of downtown Sandpoint at 1100 Airport Way, off North Boyer Avenue. Rent cars for local use (primarily for aviators).
- Taylor & Sons Chevrolet: 866-613-9199 or 208-263-2138, located on Highway 95 in Ponderay. Rent cars for local use (no one-way travel services provided).
- Thrifty Car Rental: 800-367-2277 or 208-255-7909, located in the lobby of Andersons Autobody on Highway 200 two miles east of Sandpoint.
- Rental car agencies at Spokane International Airport: Alamo, 800-462-5266; Avis, 800-331-1212; Budget, 800-527-0700; Dollar 800-800-4000; Enterprise, 800-325-8007; Hertz, 800-654-3131; National, 800-227-7368; Thrifty, 800-367-2277
- Bonner Taxi offers taxi services 24/7 around town and the area, with airport shuttles to Spokane International and to Schweitzer Mountain in a spacious van with room for gear and six passengers. Call for service, or make an online reservation; credit cards, PayPal accepted. 208-263-7626
- Sandpoint Cab Co.: 208-610-6212
- WhiteTail Transportation Services: Service-oriented company caters to people in need of reliable transportation, including shuttles to and from the Spokane Airport. Reservations required by calling 208-448-0848.