Dolores "Dodie" Glass
Years of residence in Bonner County: 3 years
How can the public contact you? [email protected]
• Education: Masters in Nursing (MSN) Bachelor of Science, Nursing (BSN)
• Pertinent employment history that provides you with relevant experience for this office:
Most recent employment- Bonner General Hospital- Hospice RN- now retired. I have had a career in nursing that includes working in a Level I Trauma hospital to my Local small community hospital. I have a long history of volunteer community service. I held several positions, including "Chief of crews," for a volunteer ambulance service that covered 500 sq miles.
• Other experiences or skills you'd like to mention that add to your qualifications for office:
My diverse nursing and volunteer experience provides me the opportunity to understand quality health care needs. I have always had a passion for health care. My experience as a Hospice RN here in Bonner County brought to my attention many of the needs in this rural community.
1. This is a volunteer position – no pay! Here's a three-part question:
- Why are you running for a seat on the hospital district board?
This was a recent decision to run. I was approached by local community members to look at this position. I feel my background provides a knowledge for health care needs in this rural community. As well as understanding the needs of a small community hospital. I have a good understanding of the potential needs of this community.
- Have you ever attended a hospital district board meeting? I will be attending the next Hospital board meeting.
- And, if elected, how many hours per week will you devote to your service on the board? As many as it takes to achieve the goals that will serve this community the best.
2. The hospital district specifically supports Bonner General Health and its health services. How many times in 2019 and 2020 did you visit BGH as a patron to utilize its services? Do you consider yourself well familiar with the services BGH provides?
When I worked as a Hospice RN for Bonner General I utilized several services. I have personally used the services at BGH.
3. Do you consider the Pend Oreille Hospital District to be well managed currently? Is its board of trustees taking it in the right direction?
I am gathering information about POHD. I hope to gain some clarity with the next POHD meeting. I am developing some questions. Determining the needs of the community and the appropriate use of the community hospital district tax dollar.
4. Do you identify important issues, that you want to pursue or address as a member of the district board of trustees?
I do have a concern with several POHD members are also serving on the board of BGH.
5. The Pend Oreille Hospital District is a taxing district, the revenues from which are to be distributed to local health care facilities, and which the district earmarks for BGH. Would you seek changes to its funding or its expenditures?
In the agreement for POHD it states they will "seek to ensure that certain healthcare services are provided to persons within the District boundaries." BGH has related clinics in this district. The purpose of POHD is to make sure the community is served properly by the their health care tax dollar.
6. Rural communities in particular face challenges to provide good health care to their residents. Those include low patient volume; older populations with more chronic conditions; difficulty recruiting qualified professionals; rising costs and others. These difficulties have led to hospital closures in many small towns. Do you have a personal vision for how the health providers in our small town can meet these challenges and ensure good health care here in Bonner County?
As a board member, I will continue to reach out to those in this community to identify the needs for quality health care.
7. Finally: With multiple candidates for the two board positions up for election, why should voters give you their vote? What would you like voters to most consider in deciding how to cast their vote?
I have a strong involvement in this community. My experience as a RN has given me the experience and opportunity to work off grid and within the Hospital and clinic environments. I will stand up accessibility for quality healthcare.