Sandpoint High Sports / Winter 2016-2017
View this week's sports schedule»
Boys Basketball :: Varsity - JV - JV II
Girls Basketball :: Varsity - JV - JV II
Wrestling :: Varsity
CHAFE 150 Registration Opens :: Jan. 18, 2017
At midnight on Jan. 18, registration for the 2017 CHAFE bike ride opens! There will be an early registration discount and drawings for prizes! In addition, be an early registrant and receive $10 off registration between Jan. 18 and Feb. 8. And in celebration of the 10th annual ride, the first 100 registrants will be entered in raffles to win amazing bike-related prizes!
Over the past four years, CHAFE 150 has raised over $160,000 for children on the Autism Spectrum in the Lake Pend Oreille School District. This year's ride will be held June 17. Learn more at CHAFE150.org.
Youth Basketball League 2017
Sandpoint Parks and Recreation offers Youth Basketball League for the following groups, held Feb. 11 through March 18:
- Grades 3-6: Registration deadline is Jan. 9. Fees are: 1 player - $35 County / $30 within City limits, and there are discounts for more than one player in the family. Jerseys cost $14.
- Grades 7-8: Registration deadline is Jan. 16, after middle school tryouts. Fees are: 1 player - $35 County / $30 within City limits, and there are discounts for more than one player in the family. Jerseys cost $14.
A Sandpoint youth sport jersey is required; registration forms are available in area schools before winter break. For more information, call 208-263-3613.
Bulldog Softball Presidents' Day Youth Clinic ::
Feb. 17, 2017
Sandpoint High School Bulldogs Softball hosts a Presidents' Day Youth Clinic from 8 a.m. until noon Feb. 20, 2017, in the SHS gymnasium. This clinic is open to girls in grades 2 through 8. Cost is $25 ($20 for pre-registration); all proceeds benefit the SHS softball program.
Twilight Ski and Snowboard Special :: '16/'17
The Schweitzer Mountain Twilight Ski and Snowboard Special is back! Sandpoint Parks and Recreation is now selling non-refundable $10 lift vouchers for twilight skiers and boarders of all ages. Good for any night of twilight skiing (3 p.m. to 7 p.m.). Coupons will not be available at the Schweitzer Ticket Office; they must be purchased before driving up. Vouchers must be redeemed for a valid ticket at the Ski & Ride Center or a ticket window on any valid night of the ski season. These vouchers are good for any valid night of twilight skiing at Schweitzer.
- Purchase tickets at Dairy Depot, Larson's, Yoke's (customer service desk), and Sandpoint Parks and Recreation.
- Participants can get a special ski or snowboard rental package for $15 + tax and fees when you show your ticket at the sales desk (tell the rental shop you want the night deal and show your ticket or voucher).
- For further details, call Sandpoint Parks and Recreation at 208-263-3613. For ski hill information, call Schweitzer at 208-263-9555.
Open Gym Basketball :: Sundays through March 2017
Sandpoint Parks and Recreation partners with the Lake Pend Oreille School District to offer Open Gym Basketball, held Sunday afternoons Nov. 13, 2016 and running through March 12, 2017 (except Dec. 25, Jan. 1, and Feb. 5) at Sandpoint High School.
- Youth Open Gym Basketball: 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. This time period is reserved for youth grades 3 through 12. Although a gym monitor will be present, this is not a supervised activity.
- Adult Open Gym Basketball: 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Entry fee for adults is $2 per player, payable at the door to the Gym Coordinator.
- Contact Parks and Recreation for more information at 208-263-3613.
Yoga, Dancing, Fitness and Wellness
Hope Health Fitness Class. The Memorial Community Center, 415 Wellington Pl. in Hope, hosts Health Fitness Classes with Mike Ehredt every Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Please call Mike at 208-360-9647 for more information, or to sign up for the class. Cost is $5 per session.
Zumba classes. Zumba is a Latin-dance based fitness class that is fun and highly aerobic (but non-impact). Choose from two class days: Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., or Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Classes are held at the InBody Pilates Studio; 208-290-2600. 66210.zumba.com.
International Folk Dance for Seniors. Luther Park, 510 S. Olive St., hosts classes on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The public is invited to attend, and class fee is $5.
Mindful Yoga. Every Monday and Thursday from 5:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Gardenia Center, 400 Church St. Deep, mindful yoga weaving dharana and pranayama throughout the sadhana with Maria Alberg. 208-263-2084
Pranic Healing Clinic. The Gardenia Center hosts a free Pranic Healing Class upstairs in the library at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on the last Sunday of every month with one of the following practitioners: Teri McDonald, Mesha Edwards, Gloria Waterhouse or Kelly Navaro.
Yoga Class. Sandpoint Yoga Studio, 1309 Ponderosa Dr., Ste. 202, offers a free yoga class every month. Aimed to help melt away stress, all levels and ages are welcome. Donations go to a charitable lottery.
Laoshi Mark Duffner is a certified Tai Chi instructor and self-avowed Tai Chi geek. Duffner will be sharing his enthusiasm for the Tai Chi arts at the Black Bear Martial Arts Center, 114 N. Boyer. Drop-in classes are $10, and will be offered Mondays from noon to 1 p.m., and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Classes will include instruction on basic Tai Chi and Qigong forms and principles. Advanced students will receive training to an increasing level of depth and complexity in accordance with their readiness and willingness to learn more. To register or for more information, contact Black Bear Martial Arts Center directly at 208-255-1111.
S.T.E.P. Training Centre
S.T.E.P. (Seeking To Encourage People) is a non-profit gymnastics and sports training center, offering gymnastics for all abilities and ages. S.T.E.P. Training Centre is the 2014 Xcel Program of the Year in Idaho, as well as a top 3 finisher at the 2014 Idaho State championships. S.T.E.P. has many classes, clinics, and camps throughout the year.
- Classes run Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. (times vary by day)
- Fees begin at $40 per month (scholarship programs are available)
Program offerings include:
- Summer Camp
- Summer Clinics
- Competitive dance,tumbling training
- Preschool and introductory classes
- Circus arts classes
- Corporate/Event silk perfomances
- Aerial awareness
- Competitive team levels
- Open Gym
For more information, call 208-290-4513 or e-mail email@example.com. Located at 101 McGhee Rd.
Area Golf Courses
Elks Golf Club. This nine-hole course is closest to town, just outside the Sandpoint city limits off Highway 200 East. 208-263-4321. GolfSandpointElks.com.
StoneRidge Golf. Located about 40 minutes southwest of Sandpoint off Highway 41 in Blanchard, StoneRidge has 19 holes on a scenic course with a par-72 layout. StoneRidge hosts a variety of specialty events; for a current schedule call 208-437-4653, or visit StoneRidgeIdaho.com.
Priest Lake Golf Course. Par-72, 6,500-yard course is located at 152 Fairway Dr. in Priest Lake amidst mountains, forests and wetlands on the west side of Priest Lake. Call 208-443-2525 or visit PriestLakeGolfCourse.com.
Youth Sports Jersey Recycling Program
Have your kids outgrown their red and white youth league jerseys? Put them to great use by donating laundered, gently used jerseys back to Sandpoint Parks and Recreation. Each year, Sandpoint's P&R gives out approximately $2,000 in scholarships to youth programs, generously donated by various organizations. That money covers jersey costs as well as program fees - unless we have previously used, donated jerseys we can offer those who can't afford to purchase them. Help keep more money in the scholarship fund for kids to access for recreation program fees by donating jerseys when your children finishes the youth leagues.
- Drop off your jerseys from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at Sandpoint P&R, 1123 Lake St. in City Hall. Questions? Call 208-263-3613. Thanks!