Walk with Jane :: June 24-Oct. 28
Jane Hoover has been a nurse practitioner for 21 years, and her experience has shaped her unique perspective on health and what matters. Exercise, connecting with others, and experiencing nature are top on her list of what really matters in the big picture of life. Join her for an educational and enjoyable walk at various locations throughout our community. Walks are every 4th Saturday of the month, with a different theme or focus for each month. The walk starts with a few minutes of conversation and education, the remainder in walking and meeting new people in a relaxed, non-judgmental, fun atmosphere. No fee or pre-registration required! Grab a friend and join us.
June 24 Topic is Proper Footwear. Walk is at Pend d'Oreille Bay Trail.
July 22 Topic is Strength. Walk is at Sand Creek Trail.
Aug. 26 Topic is the Art of Curiosity. Walk is at Pend d'Oreille Bay Trail.
Sept. 23 Topic is Posture and Walking Mechanics. Walk is at Travers Park.
Oct. 28 Topic is Don't Be Afraid of Fall(ing). Walk is at Sand Creek Trail.
Register online at SandpointIdaho.gov/parksrecreation or at 1123 Lake St. Call 208-263-3613.
Camp Kaniksu :: June-August
Come out and have some fun this summer at Camp Kaniksu, located at the University of Idaho Extension, 2105 N. Boyer. Sessions are June 26-July 21, and July 31-August 25 for ages 7-12. Cost is just $80 per four-week session. Register at Sandpoint Parks & Recreation, or online at SandpointIdaho.gov/parksrecreation.
Summer Adventure Camp :: June 29-Aug. 11
Sandpoint West Athletic Club provides fun-filled days, loaded with activities to keep kids aged 10-12 safe and happy. SAC has been providing opportunities for kids to explore and be creative for 18 years! Camps start the week of June 29 and end the week of Aug 11. Camp hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Space is limited; registration begins the first week of June at SWAC. The cost for the entire week is only $70 and includes lunches. Scholarship assistance is available. Each week is centered on a different theme. Additional information at SandpointWest.com. Special thanks for funding support from SWAC, Community Assistance League, Bonner County Juvenile Probation, and Sandpoint Parks & Recreation.
FSPW Summer Hikes Series :: June-August 2017
Friends of Scotchman Peaks Wilderness (FSPW) offers two hike series this summer to encourage families to get outdoors. The hikes will be in both the Idaho and Montana portions of the Scotchmans.
- Moms and Kids Hikes take place June 28 on historic Star Peak Trail #999 and July 19 at Ross Creek Cedars. Two FSPW staff members who also go by "Mom" will be leading the hikes aimed at kids of all ages.
- Community Kids Hikes take place on Regal Creek Trail #556 and Morris Creek Trail #132 June 30, the Ross Creek Cedars Nature Loop July 21, and Big Eddy Trail #999 Aug. 11. FSPW partners with Bonner Homeless Transitions for the fourth year in a row to promote children enjoying the great outdoors. Families with children 13 and under are invited to participate.
For more information or to sign up, visit ScotchmanPeaks.org or e-mail email@example.com.
Sandpoint P&R :: Summer 2017
Sandpoint Parks and Recreation fills the summer calendar with lots of activities; go to the P&R website to learn more, register and pay fees -- or visit 1123 Lake St.
- June 24-Aug. 19: Teen Summer Hike Series. Ages 15-18. June 24 - Pend Oreille Bay Trail; July 8 - Gold Hill Trail #3; July 22 - Gold Hill Trail #3; Aug. 19 - Mickinnick Trail.
- July 3-14: Junior Lifeguarding. Ages 12-15; 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday at City Beach.
- July 5-7: Mini Hawk Soccer, Baseball, and Basketball Camp for ages 4-7.
- July 5-7: Tiny Hawk Soccer Camp for ages 3-4.
- July 11-Aug. 15: Synchronized Swimming. Ages 9 and older, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays at City Beach. Pre-register by June 30.
- Through July 12: Sand Volleyball Clinics for ages 8 and up.
- July 17-21: High School Teen Tennis Clinic. 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Travers Park courts. Pre-register by July 1.
- July 17, 19, 20 Lacrosse Clinic. Grades 3-4 (register by June 30). 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Great Northern Park.
- July 24, 26, Aug. 2 Lacrosse Clinic. Grades 5-6 (register by July 7). Held from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Great Northern Park.
- Through July 27: Beginner and Intermediate adult tennis lessons.
- Through July 27: Youth tennis lessons.
- Through October: Ultimate Frisbee League. Ages 16 and older; 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Travers Park.
Walk 7B :: July-September 2017
Walk 7B is designed to bring people together through movement, exploration, friendship, and adventure! Its a collaboration through Sandpoint Parks & Recreation, Kaniksu Land Trust, and the National Recreation and Parks Association. Walking is one of the best ways to boost overall health and is a perfect starter activity for people who wish to ease themselves in and build up their fitness.
- July AM session is Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at Travers Park
- July PM session is Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Sand Creek Trail.
Cost is $15 per person/session. There are new sessions every month through September. Register online or in person at the Sandpoint Parks & Recreation Office, 1123 Lake St. For more information, call 208-263-3613.
WaterLife Discovery Center :: Through August
The WaterLife Discovery Center is open from noon to 4 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays now through Aug. 26. Staffed with volunteers from the Pend Oreille Chapter of the Idaho Master Naturalists, the grounds are open daily until dusk. 208-610-6784
Rhythmics and Acrosport :: Sept. 6-Oct. 11
Rhythmics is a beautiful activity that combines elements of ballet, gymnastics, dance, and manipulation of 5 apparatus; ball, clubs, hoops, ribbon and rope into skills and routines to music.
Acrosport uses partners and groups working together to perform acrobatic skills of tumbling, lifts, balances, tosses and catches of partners in combination with dance. Gymnasts of all sizes are needed. Bases are bigger and strong. Tops are petite.
Session 2 is Sept 6 through Oct. 11 at Community Hall, 204 N. First Ave., on Wednesdays. Beginners meet from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Intermediate (with instructor approval) meet from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Fees are $40/session ($5 city discount). There is a minimum of 5 and maximum of 12 participants needed. Pre-register by Aug. 30 at Sandpoint Parks and Recreation, 1123 Lake St. or go to the online registration.
Yoga, Dancing, Fitness and Wellness
Every Sunday - Yoga at the Beach. Sandpoint Parks and Recreation and Downtown Yoga offer this great program. Come on down Sundays from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and enjoy the many benefits of yoga in a beautiful setting - City Beach! Bring your own yoga mat. Meet on the east side of basketball courts. In case of inclement weather, meet at Downtown Yoga. Best of all, it's free!
Every Saturday - Yoga & Beer at the Brewery. Join Danielle Spillman every Saturday at MickDuff's Beer Hall, 220 Cedar St., from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. for an hourlong Vinyasa Flow yoga class. This class is catered to students of all experience levels and will be conducted outside the brewery with mats. Bring their own mat or blanket along with class fee of $12 which includes a beer (afterwards) or a root beer. Class is weather dependent; any cancellations will be posted on Facebook (visit day of the event). 208-209-6700
Downtown Yoga, 301 Cedar St., Ste. 106, behind Pend d'Oreille Winery, hosts the following yoga classes:
- Yin Yoga and the Chakras. Every Monday, 4 p.m. to 5:10 p.m., $14 drop-in or class pass. In this class we will use Yin Yoga to liberate the chakras and create new promise in the energy body.
Hope Health Fitness Class. The Memorial Community Center, 415 Wellington Pl. in Hope, hosts Health Fitness Classes with Mike Ehredt every Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Call Mike at 208-360-9647 for more information, or to sign up for the class. $5 per session.
Zumba classes. Zumba is a Latin-dance based fitness class that is fun and highly aerobic (but non-impact). Choose from two class days: Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., or Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Classes are held at the InBody Pilates Studio; 208-290-2600. 66210.zumba.com.
International Folk Dance for Seniors. Luther Park, 510 S. Olive St., hosts classes on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The public is invited to attend, and class fee is $5.
Mindful Yoga. Every Monday and Thursday from 5:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Gardenia Center, 400 Church St. Deep, mindful yoga weaving dharana and pranayama throughout the sadhana with Maria Alberg. 208-263-2084
Pranic Healing Clinic. The Gardenia Center hosts a free Pranic Healing Class upstairs in the library at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on the last Sunday of every month with one of the following practitioners: Teri McDonald, Mesha Edwards, Gloria Waterhouse or Kelly Navaro.
Yoga Class. Sandpoint Yoga Studio, 1309 Ponderosa Dr., Ste. 202, offers a free yoga class every month. Aimed to help melt away stress, all levels and ages are welcome. Donations go to a charitable lottery.
Laoshi Mark Duffner is a certified Tai Chi instructor and self-avowed Tai Chi geek. Duffner will be sharing his enthusiasm for the Tai Chi arts at the Black Bear Martial Arts Center, 114 N. Boyer. Drop-in classes are $10, and will be offered Mondays from noon to 1 p.m., and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Classes will include instruction on basic Tai Chi and Qigong forms and principles. Advanced students will receive training to an increasing level of depth and complexity in accordance with their readiness and willingness to learn more. To register or for more information, contact Black Bear Martial Arts Center directly at 208-255-1111.
Area Golf Courses
Elks Golf Club. This nine-hole course is closest to town, just outside the Sandpoint city limits off Highway 200 East. 208-263-4321. SandpointElks.com.
StoneRidge Golf. Located about 40 minutes southwest of Sandpoint off Highway 41 in Blanchard, StoneRidge has 19 holes on a scenic course with a par-72 layout. StoneRidge hosts a variety of specialty events; for a current schedule call 208-437-4653, or visit StoneRidgeIdaho.com.
Priest Lake Golf Course. Par-72, 6,500-yard course is located at 152 Fairway Dr. in Priest Lake amidst mountains, forests and wetlands on the west side of Priest Lake. Call 208-443-2525 or visit PriestLakeGolfCourse.com.
Youth Sports Jersey Recycling Program
Have your kids outgrown their red and white youth league jerseys? Put them to great use by donating laundered, gently used jerseys back to Sandpoint Parks and Recreation. Each year, Sandpoint's P&R gives out approximately $2,000 in scholarships to youth programs, generously donated by various organizations. That money covers jersey costs as well as program fees - unless we have previously used, donated jerseys we can offer those who can't afford to purchase them. Help keep more money in the scholarship fund for kids to access for recreation program fees by donating jerseys when your children finishes the youth leagues.
- Drop off your jerseys from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at Sandpoint P&R, 1123 Lake St. in City Hall. Questions? Call 208-263-3613. Thanks!