Parks and Rec :: Summer 2019
Sandpoint Parks and Recreation Summer 2019 sports calendar. To register, or for other activities offered by P&R, visit the online catalog or visit the office at 1123 Lake St.
City Beach Dance. Join USA Dance and Sandpoint Parks & Rec. for a free dance and potluck picnic on July 27 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the City Beach Basketball Courts. USA Dance will supply plates and utensils. Please bring one dish to share and your own lawn chair or lawn blanket. Professional Ballroom Instructors Glenn and Patty will be teaching short sampler classes on different dance styles throughout the evening. DJ is Glenn Braunstein.
Children's Intro to Taekwondo/ Karate and Self Defense.
Sandpoint Taekwondo will be offering children age 5-14, an introductory Taekwondo, Karate, and Self Defense class August 6 -15. The session fee is $51 ($2 City discount), and includes a uniform and 2 weeks of lessons on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m. Each session will meet at Sandpoint Taekwondo, 218 Main Street in downtown Sandpoint. Register online by July 28.
Sandblast Beach Volleyball Tournament. Sandpoint Parks and Recreation presents the Sandblast Beach Volleyball Tournament July 20 and 21 for ages 16+. There are a limited number of spots in the tournament, so sign up early to guarantee your spot. Fee is $40 per team if pre-registered. $50/team late registration from 8 - 8:30 a.m., July 20. The tournament will be Men's and Women's on Saturday and Co-ed Doubles on Sunday. Meet at the sand volleyball courts at Sandpoint City Beach for rules by 8:30 a.m. Tournament begins at 9 a.m. Be prepared to stay all day.
August Session: Swimming Lessons. Registration for P&R swim lessons is available online. Sandpoint city residents will receive a $3/child discount from listed fees. Family rates are available. Scholarship registration must be done at Parks & Rec. office. Swim lessons are designed to teach basic swimming skills to students of all abilities with special emphasis on water safety. Parents must get in the water with their child for the Parent-Tot class.
- Lessons take place Monday through Thursday for 2 weeks: July 31, August 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10. Fridays are reserved for weather make-ups. All lessons are held in open water at City Beach. Registration deadline is July 21.
- Parent and Tot Class for ages 2-3 begins at noon. Fee is $27 (25 min. class)
- Perch Class for ages 4-kindergarten, begins at noon. Fee is $37 (40 min. class)
- Perch Class for ages 4-kindergarten, begins at 1 p.m. Fee is $37 (40 min. class)
- Rainbow Trout Class for ages 1st grade -11 yrs. (beginner thru competent floaters) begins at 2 p.m. Fee is $37 (40 min. class)
- Kokanee Class for ages 1st grade - 11 yrs. (competent floaters through advanced)
- Teen/Adult Class begins at 3 p.m. Fee is $37 (40 min. class)
Pickleball League. Join Sandpoint Parks and Rec and Panhandle Pickleball Club for the new Pickleball League! Be a part of one of the quickest growing sports across the country; a paddle sport created for all ages and skill levels. Pickleball combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong. The court is smaller than tennis, and there are different styles of ball so the play can be slower or faster for different level of players. The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.
- League plays Tuesdays: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Thursdays: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturdays: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Lakeview Park lower ball court beside the lake. This activity is by drop-in, no registration necessary, and play is free!
Pickleball Camp for Adults. Held July 29 to Aug. 1 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Lakeview Park Pickleball courts beside the lake. The camp is a beginner-oriented course and best of all, participation is free! All play equipment is provided. Wear court-type shoes, bring a water bottle, and a fun attitude. 208-263-3613
Skyhawks Multi-Sport Clinic. Sandpoint Parks and Recreation partners with Skyhawks to offer a Multi-Sport Clinic for children ages 6-12 years old.
Session 2 is July 22-26. Pre-register for session 2 by July 16. Class will be located at Travers Park (2102 Pine St.) from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Class fee is $155. The Multi-Sport Clinic will introduce baseball, basketball, and soccer in one weeklong setting. Participants will learn the rules and essentials of each sport through skill-based games and scrimmages. By the end of the week, your child will walk away with knowledge of (2 or 3) new sports along with vital life lessons such as respect, teamwork, and self-discipline.
Ladies Golf Clinic - Session 2. Join Mike Deprez on Monday nights this summer for a Ladies Golf Clinic. Clinic meets at Stoneridge and Idaho Club from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Ages 18 and older.
- Session 2 is July 29 to Aug. 26 with a registration deadline of July 25.
- Fee is $105 ($5 city discount) per session and includes range balls, fees and one round of golf at Stoneridge.
Outdoor Shooting Range. Part of the City of Sandpoint Park System, the Outdoor Shooting Range is a 6-acre park located on Baldy Mountain Road at 113 Turtle Rock Rd. The range consists of 14 covered concrete shooting lanes with benches and stools. Shooting distances offered are 25, 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards. The city provides shooters free access to quality eye and ear protection, a sporting scope, and targets for use. Day pass is $5, and season passes purchased with a current Bonner County Sportsmen Association card are $20, or $70 for a non-BCSA member. BCSA memberships are also sold at the range. 208-263-3628
SHS Sports Registration Day :: Aug. 7, 2019
Sandpoint High School holds Sports Registration Day from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7. All student athletes are encouraged to attend this event - fall, winter, and spring sports.
- Students should bring their insurance card, a physical (for incoming 9th and 11th graders), a parent, and money for your ASB sticker. Be prepared to get your Student ID card.
- No student athlete is eligible to participate in any practice or try-out without all paperwork on file in the front office.
- In addition, all freshmen and seniors can get their lockers.
- All grade levels can pick up their Student ID card and ASB sticker (there are two home football games prior to school starting).
SAFL - Sandpoint Youth Football and Cheer
SAFL - Sandpoint Youth Football & Cheer provides the best, safest, and most enjoyable football and cheer experience for all 3rd thru 8th grade youth athletes of Sandpoint who want to play regardless of financial situations. Register online now for our free day camps and for the 2019 football and cheer season. For more information, call 208-290-1888 or email [email protected].
Sandpoint High Fall 2019
* View this week's sports schedule *
Patriotic Golf Scramble :: Sept. 15
The Sandpoint Elks host their 12th Annual Patriotic Golf Scramble on Sunday, Sept. 15 starting at 9 a.m. All proceeds from this event will support Bonner and Boundary county veterans. Sponsored by Sandpoint Elks Lodge #1376. Ticket cost is $60/player. For more information, contact Linda Tatlock at 208-255-1405 or [email protected] or go online.
Ultimate Frisbee :: May-October
Ultimate Frisbee is an active sport that's full of fast-paced action! This league is co-ed and all skill levels are encouraged to participate. The game is played on a field with two end zones to catch the final throw, which scores a point. Join in a game at any time. Cleat recommended, but not required.
- Games are Mondays and Thursdays, May through October 2019, at Great Northern Park from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Fee is $20 per person; registration is continual throughout the season.
Contact Sandpoint Parks and Recreation at 208-263-3613 or visit their office at 1123 Lake St.
Walk With A Doc
This walking program is for everyone interested in taking steps for a healthier lifestyle. It is now being offered in Sandpoint and Clark Fork. Local medical practitioners will be leading the walks in both locations.
- Clark Fork: Dr. Heather Margaret will be leading walks in Clark Fork every Monday and Thursday at 12:15 - these walks are located at the grassy area behind the Clark Fork High School.
- Sandpoint: Walks begin at the bear statue before the City Beach entrance and go along the Sand Creek Trail. Jane Hoover, Nurse Practitioner from Family Health Center, leads walks every Tuesday evening at 5:15 p.m. In addition, every other Saturday morning a different medical provider will lead the walk beginning at 8 a.m.
All walks are free and walkers of all ages and abilities are invited to participate. It's a great way to get out, get active and enjoy good conversation. For more information, call Nanci Jenkins at Bonner County Coalition for Health / Panhandle Health District 208-263-5159
Laoshi Mark Duffner is a certified Tai Chi instructor and self-avowed Tai Chi geek. Duffner will be sharing his enthusiasm for the Tai Chi arts at the Black Bear Martial Arts Center, 114 N. Boyer. Drop-in classes are $10, and will be offered Mondays from noon to 1 p.m., and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Classes will include instruction on basic Tai Chi and Qigong forms and principles. Advanced students will receive training to an increasing level of depth and complexity in accordance with their readiness and willingness to learn more. To register or for more information, contact Black Bear Martial Arts Center directly at 208-255-1111.
Area Golf Courses
Elks Golf Club. This nine-hole course is closest to town, just outside the Sandpoint city limits off Highway 200 East. 208-263-4321. SandpointElks.com.
StoneRidge Golf. Located about 40 minutes southwest of Sandpoint off Highway 41 in Blanchard, StoneRidge has 19 holes on a scenic course with a par-72 layout. StoneRidge hosts a variety of specialty events; for a current schedule call 208-437-4653, or visit StoneRidgeIdaho.com.
Priest Lake Golf Course. Par-72, 6,500-yard course is located at 152 Fairway Dr. in Priest Lake amidst mountains, forests and wetlands on the west side of Priest Lake. Call 208-443-2525 or visit PriestLakeGolfCourse.com.
Yoga, Dancing, Fitness and Wellness :: 2019
Every Saturday - Yoga on Tap. Laughing Dog Brewing hosts Yoga On Tap at 10:45 a.m. every Saturday mornings, taught by Tiki. Afterwards, the group will enjoy a pint of beer!
Downtown Yoga, 301 Cedar St., Ste. 106, behind Pend d'Oreille Winery, hosts the following yoga classes:
- Yin Yoga and the Chakras. Every Monday, 4 p.m. to 5:10 p.m., $14 drop-in or class pass. In this class we will use Yin Yoga to liberate the chakras and create new promise in the energy body.
Hope Health Fitness Class. The Memorial Community Center, 415 Wellington Pl. in Hope, hosts Health Fitness Classes with Mike Ehredt every Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Call Mike at 208-360-9647 for more information, or to sign up for the class. $5 per session.
Zumba classes. Zumba is a Latin-dance based fitness class that is fun and highly aerobic (but non-impact). Choose from two class days: Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., or Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Classes are held at the InBody Pilates Studio; 208-290-2600. 66210.zumba.com.
International Folk Dance for Seniors. Luther Park, 510 S. Olive St., hosts classes on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The public is invited to attend, and class fee is $5.
Mindful Yoga. Every Monday and Thursday from 5:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Gardenia Center, 400 Church St. Deep, mindful yoga weaving dharana and pranayama throughout the sadhana with Maria Alberg. 208-263-2084
Pranic Healing Clinic. The Gardenia Center hosts a free Pranic Healing Class upstairs in the library at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on the last Sunday of every month with one of the following practitioners: Teri McDonald, Mesha Edwards, Gloria Waterhouse or Kelly Navaro.
Youth Sports Jersey Recycling Program
Have your kids outgrown their red and white youth league jerseys? Put them to great use by donating laundered, gently used jerseys back to Sandpoint Parks and Recreation. Each year, Sandpoint's P&R gives out approximately $2,000 in scholarships to youth programs, generously donated by various organizations. That money covers jersey costs as well as program fees - unless we have previously used, donated jerseys we can offer those who can't afford to purchase them. Help keep more money in the scholarship fund for kids to access for recreation program fees by donating jerseys when your children finishes the youth leagues.
- Drop off your jerseys from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at Sandpoint P&R, 1123 Lake St. in City Hall. Questions? Call 208-263-3613. Thanks!